Friday, January 17, 2014

Showin' It Off Saturday

Hi everyone,

Well....not a whole lot of progress this week, but I did manage to get a few things done.  I got the baby quilt top finished for my Fishy Whales, I cut all of the pieces out for my new block to add to my Mario quilt (the cloud), and my sweet husband bought me a sewing machine that I have had my eye on at the Flea Market.

 Soon to be Mario Cloud

 Fishy Whales finished top

 My new toy!   Dressmaker sewing machine: $6 at the Flea Market.  
Runs like a charm!  It needs a little cleaning, but overall in perfect condition!

And now...my random story of the week that has absolutely nothing to do with quilting...
I work as a Young Adult Librarian in a public library.  Yesterday (Thursday) I had the honor of helping a 90 year old WWII veteran find books to checkout.  This was the second time I had ever met this patron, but he seemed to be a very sweet guy.  I remembered that on his last visit to the library, he told me that he was a pilot in WWII.  On this visit, I asked him about his time overseas and about what kind of planes he flew during the war.  We talked for a while about his war stories and how he flew B-24's during the war.  I told him that I would love to see pictures one day.  He smiled and told me that he would bring some in to show me.  About 5 minutes after I thought he had left the building, he slowly came walking back in with this picture.  The picture was painted for him by his sister-in-law.  It is a beautiful painting of the exact B-24 his flew during WWII.  He showed me the print that he had made of the painting, and then he told me that he wanted me to keep it because I loved history and warbirds so much.  How amazing! I think that I have made a friend for life, and he just happens to be a WWII veteran Air Corps pilot!

I was so touched by this kind gesture that I just knew I had to share it here!  
(FYI: I love all things about flying and old warbirds.)
Photo from: R. Gallup.  Painted by: Mac Minn

Have a great Saturday!

-Brittany




4 comments:

  1. I work in a library too, adult reference. I loved your story! How lucky you are to have this print. I love helping our older patrons and if I think they may have served, I ask. They always seem to appreciate it and if gives me a chance to tell them thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment about my post. It is nice to meet a fellow librarian! I enjoyed talking with him so much. He told me stories about flying pick-up missions and how his plane made a crash landing in Switzerland and many more! It was just so interesting to sit there and listen to him. That is one amazing thing about working in a public library, you see all different kinds of people from so many walks of life. Every person I interact with has a different story to tell, which often times makes for a very interesting day at work. ;)

      Delete
  2. Mario quilt.....awesome! And I am SO jealous of that sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so excited when I found the sewing machine at the flea market. It was like it was just sitting there waiting for me to find it. :)

      Delete